Group Life and AD&D Insurance | Voluntary BenefitsGroup Term Life/AD&D Insurance
Print this page
How It Works
Group Term Life/AD&D Insurance
- All newly-hired employees of Duval County Public Schools are able to elect additional term life coverage equal to one, two, or three times their annual salary, minus $12,000, up to a maximum of $312,000 or, instead of a multiple of the annual salary, you may elect a flat $50,000. This is in addition to your basic Board-paid coverage. Equal amounts of accidental death and dismemberment insurance are also provided. Elections must be made during the first 31 days after becoming eligible.
- During Open Enrollment, existing employees may upgrade their additional life and AD&D coverage by one level without medical review.
- During Open Enrollment, employees who are eligible but not insured, can purchase additional term life coverage equal to one times their annual salary, or $50,000. Equal amounts of accidental death and dismemberment insurance are also provided.
- In the event of a Family Status Change:
- You may enroll in or increase your additional life coverage without having to submit evidence of insurability, should you enroll within 60 days of a Family Status Change.
- Existing employees may upgrade their additional life and AD&D coverage by one level without medical review.
- Employees who are eligible but not insured can purchase additional term life coverage equal to one times their annual salary or $50,000. Equal amounts of accidental death and dismemberment insurance are also provided.
- Family Status Change means any of the following events:
- Your marriage, divorce or legal separation
- The birth of your child
- The adoption of a child by you
- The death of your spouse and/or child
- The commencement or termination of your spouse’s employment
- A change in employment from full-time to part-time by you or your spouse
- If you terminate your employment from Duval County Public Schools, you may elect to continue coverage.
How to change your beneficiary
- Log in to www.myFBMC.com.
- Select Change In Status.
- Select Update Beneficiary.
- Complete the required fields and select the allocation of your life insurance benefit, not to exceed 100%.
To file a death claim:
Please contact the DCPS Employee Benefits Office at 904-390-2143.
The Standard Insurance Company offers the following services to policyholders:
- Life Services Toolkit Website – Use the site’s online resources to help with will preparation, as well as funeral, legal and financial planning. In addition to the online tools, your beneficiaries receive grief, legal, and financial counseling in the year after your death.
- Travel Assistance – You can use this service right now to prepare for trips, and also for help while traveling. If an illness, accident, or lost item disrupts a trip, Travel Assistance can offer support for finding medical and legal services, and replacing lost credit cards and passports. With an injury that’s serious enough to end your trip, this service can help with transport back to the United States for further treatment. Travel Assistance can be there for you around the clock and around the world.