Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)

Print this page

If you or your children are eligible for Medicaid or CHIP and you’re eligible for health coverage from your employer, your state may have a premium assistance program that can help pay for coverage, using funds from their Medicaid or CHIP programs. If you or your children aren’t eligible for Medicaid or CHIP, you won’t be eligible for these premium assistance programs but you may be able to buy individual insurance coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace. For more information, visit

If you or your dependents are already enrolled in Medicaid or CHIP and you live in a State listed below, contact your State Medicaid or CHIP office to find out if premium assistance is available.

If you or your dependents are NOT currently enrolled in Medicaid or CHIP, and you think you or any of your dependents might be eligible for either of these programs, contact your State Medicaid or CHIP office or dial 1-877-KIDS NOW or to find out how to apply. If you qualify, ask your state if it has a program that might help you pay the premiums for an employer-sponsored plan.

If you or your dependents are eligible for premium assistance under Medicaid or CHIP, as well as eligible under your employer plan, your employer must allow you to enroll in your employer plan if you aren’t already enrolled. This is called a “special enrollment” opportunity, and you must request coverage within 60 days of being determined eligible for premium assistance. If you have questions about enrolling in your employer plan, contact the Department of Labor at or call 1-866-444-EBSA (3272).

If you live in Florida, you may be eligible for assistance paying your employer health plan premiums. If you reside outside of Florida, view the entire CHIP Model Notice online at Contact your state for more information on eligibility.

To locate the list of states, current as of July 31, 2023, or to view states that have recently added a premium assistance program since July 31, 2023, or for more information on special enrollment rights, contact either:

FLORIDA – Medicaid GEORGIA – Medicaid
Phone: 1-877-357-3268
Phone: 678-564-1162 ext 2131

U.S. Department of Labor
Employee Benefits Security Administration
1-866-444-EBSA (3272)
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
1-877-267-2323, Menu Option 4, Ext. 61565